Sultan Mosque or Masjid Sultan is a mosque located at Muscat Street and North Bridge Road within the Kampong Glam precinct of the district of Rochor in Singapore.
It was named after Sultan Hussain Shah. The mosque was inaugurated on 27 December 1936. In 1975, it was designated a national monument. History The mosque was two-thirds complete and was formally opened on 27 December 1929. The mosque was fully completed in 1932.
The first known installation of a microphone–loudspeaker set occurred in 1936 in the mosque; it was reported that the summons to prayer could ‘carry more than a mile’. Some mosque attendees were sceptical of the new electric system, however most believed it was necessary to empower the muezzin’s voice to transcend a modern city’s noises.
The Sultan Mosque has stayed essentially unchanged since it was built, with only repairs carried out to the main hall in 1968 and an annex added in 1993. It was gazetted as a national monument on 8 March 1975. The mosque is managed by its own board of trustees and management board.